Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Being More Honest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:08 am 

It’s been a hard couple of years and I’m to blame for that. The phrase we hear so often, “I’m my own worst critic”, is true in my life.

This year was challenging, not so much because of the pandemic, but more because of my age. I’m 30 this year and I realized, reality smacked me, that I wasn’t where I wanted to be. More simply…I wasn’t happy with how I was living my life.

I thought I put a lot of work into myself, but when I looked at the “results” it showed that I wasn’t doing the right things. Instead of realizing this and growing. I decided to hide and keep doing what felt comfortable.

It’s part of growing up and learning process for me.

“Albert Einstein” wrote:
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

This is something I realized this year. I have to change my ways or else I’ll end up in a similar spot again.

Typing this up is more of an accountability thing for me. A way to not waste another few years chasing my tail.

I’m going to post some of my realizations and break-throughs I come across. I think it might be helpful to others reading through it at some point. I also learned so much from this forum, so it’s my way to give back.

Post subject: Re: Being More Honest
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Looking forward to the insights and revelations to come TheDude

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:28 pm 

TheDude wrote: *

This year was challenging, not so much because of the pandemic, but more because of my age. I’m 30 this year and I realized, reality smacked me, that I wasn’t where I wanted to be. More simply…I wasn’t happy with how I was living my life.
Quote:
"In my life, when I have become desperate,
right after that is when I've become stupid."

---D.Ramsey (on best and worst investments)
https://youtu.be/iNf4Lqb-yP8?t=30

Also. Learn about your secondary benefits / gains, that are keeping you stuck.

http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... ary#p34309

http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... 629#p47629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:17 am 

peregrinus wrote: *
Thanks for the reminder. Great questions!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 am 

Thanks for the links Jared.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:27 am 

One of the lessons for me this year is...realizing I can't do a bunch of things at once and expect to get good at all of them. If I'm really serious about committing to something, then it takes dedication, persistence and sacrifice.

I kept thinking I could have my cake and eat the slices too.

It took a long time for me to realize this and maybe it was because I was afraid of success and/or failure. To let go of my "story" that I'm this type of person who does this and that.

There's so much value in doing less, in focusing on less.

For a long time I thought personal and work life is separate. I kept focusing on the personal push-ups and neglecting work thinking it would take care of itself once I took care of the personal.

Until a few years ago I realized we learn about ourselves through our work, or at least we can if we want to.

Through dedication to my craft or work, I'll come across challenges that will test me. Going through those will help me go further in my work and in my personal life. It's really nice to understand they're connected. It's not one or the other.

Focusing on less has helped me put more of my focus into what's important to me. And as a side-effect of this I'm getting to work through my challenges of fearing failure and success. I care more about what I'm doing that I'm willing to go through those blocks to get to the other side. This is where work and personal is connected for me.

Hope this makes sense.

Happy holidays!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:00 pm 

Hey man, I'm also 30 this year. It was a crazy year but I'm grateful because I learned more in 2020 than last 5 :lol:

Stay strong, share stories, sometimes we disappear to do our own things but I believe we should keep this forum alive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:55 am 

Quote:
'm also 30 this year.

Seems like we're developmentally aligned..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:44 am 

I'm 30 in a few months

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 am 

Lol we're a club of 30 year olds then!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:38 am 

Quote:
There's so much value in doing less, in focusing on less.
Thank you for sharing. It's a reflective milestone entering the 30's - you see how you did things in your 20's and it's an opportunity to change some patterns.

After trying A LOT of different things in my 20's, there's the nice realisation that I can choose what to focus on, and what is most important to me.

In a way, it is CHOOSING who it is that I want to be / become and what I want to be about.

I feel you exactly on the work-life separation: at work you are still you, living life, with the opportunity to grow and learn.