Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Meditation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 am 

(All in my own opinion, but it feels damn right!)

I finally understand Meditation! To fully grasp the benefits of meditation you have to do NOTHING!

Meditation is somewhat new to me, but in no way is it foreign. I've messed around with it for a few years, but have never been committed to it. I've begun making it into a habit recently.

When I used to meditate I would either focus on: my breath, body, or something else. Like today I tried to focus on my breath. When that didn't work I focused on repeating "LET GO", and then when that wasn't doing it I just sat down and didn't do jack shit! I just LET GO and did NOTHING! I didn't try to focus on my breath or thoughts. I just sat there and let it all come and me like a fucking G. Felt amazing and relaxed after! Haven't had this same effect before. Feel energized right now!

To get the full effects of meditation you must stay still and do absolutely NOTHING!!!! If you begin to do anything consciously you fucked it up!

Post subject: Re: Meditation
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:13 am 

There are many approaches that will work for different people -- my guess is that this great feeling and insight has most to do with the fact that you decided to commit and stick to it, so kudos my man.

You could just as easily have read that 6 weeks ago and you'd be sitting there and the mind would say "ok, do nothing -- just do nothing -- come on man, you're thinking, stop, just don't do anything." It's the consistent practice - you're getting better and better at not doing anything :lol:

You are right, a huge piece of it is 'letting go' of any thought that it is supposed to be anything at all. Simply be - with whatever is happening. Don't do. Be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

As I keep saying TheDude: Let it go!

It really is that simple.... shockingly simple.... Too simple by far....

Bravo!

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 am 

Had another good session today.

I quickly caught onto what I was trying to do in the beginning of this session: Trying to have a great session like yesterday.

That intention of mine quickly made it unable to let go, because I was setting up an expectation for myself. I let go of that, and it things eased up quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:14 am 
Site Admin

This is like:

Releasing the very same desire to be in release.

And then

The desire to be desireless.

And then

Having attachment to be unattached.

or

Letting go of the desire to let go.

It gets funnier with time.....

It's the never ending dog tailchase. Until you STOP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:28 am 

Dali wrote:
This is like:

Releasing the very same desire to be in release.

And then

The desire to be desireless.

And then

Having attachment to be unattached.

or

Letting go of the desire to let go.

It gets funnier with time.....

It's the never ending dog tailchase. Until you STOP.
:lol: true!

The desire to be desire-less is still a DESIRE in itself. This goes hand in hand with something I wanted write about at a later time: Getting in your own way. It seems that only when you STOP and trust in the process do things begin to work harmoniously.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 am 

Yes yes. Trying not to try. Very funny. When you fully welcome that you are doing that, don't resist it etc it will dissolve. Pushing anything away including effort makes it stay around.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:51 am 

I decided to write a 30 day journal of my progression meditating daily.

JOURNAL

Day 1: 15 minutes meditation. Focused on breath. Felt relaxed afterward. It was a bit difficult quieting the mind.

Day 2: This was the "ahah" day. I realized the best form of meditation IMO is the NOTHING approach. Do nothing and just sit. I felt incredibly relaxed after a 15 minute sit-down.

Day 3: I tried on day 3 to achieve the same state I did on day 2. That was a big NO NO! Once I dropped that...things began to settle down.

Day 4: A bit difficult getting into the groove of it today. I rushed it today. Finished the session though with good results.

Four days in and, so far I can tell I'm able to focus a bit quicker. I feel a bit more relaxed throughout the day. I can sleep better at night too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:15 pm 

Nice man. The essence of my favorite meditation practice/course is:

The body is *always* in the present (it can't not be) -- the mind as we call it is always in the future or past, even if it is a split second.

Just feeling the actual feeling of the body, noticing and then putting aside the mind which chimes in and says "this is my arm, this is my leg" which are just thoughts, and going back to the feeling itself, is "step 1" but that alone can do miracles. The feeling itself is always 100% now, even 'focusing' on things like breath is generally a mental direction, label, and is micro analyzing or looking at it a split second before or after it happens.. for most of us. It is subtle but the FEELING of breathing, or the body etc is 100% in the moment it is happening. If it resonates with you try it out. Nice work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:34 pm 

Meditation is great over all.... So is Tai Chi. Ever tried standing meditation? Puts a whole new spin on things.

I used to do regular meditation, but I stopped because I would get so deep into it that I would fall asleep.

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . ."

-Thoreau's Walden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm 

The Pokemon Trainer wrote:
...Ever tried standing meditation? Puts a whole new spin on things.

I used to do regular meditation, but I stopped because I would get so deep into it that I would fall asleep.
Heard of it before. Remember it can be very strenuous on the body; standing for that long.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:43 am 

MEDITATION LOG

Day 5, 6, & 7: I'm beginning to look forward to my meditation sessions. As they are becoming somewhat enjoyable; relaxing. Completed 15 minute sit down with eyes closed for each day. Becoming aware of the tension in my body; especially the gut

Day 8: Difficult session today. Mind was loud and body was tense. I'm linking my body to being tenser than usual due to the internal work and questioning I've been doing the past couple of days.

Eight days in and I can feel I'm becoming more aware of my body. The "feelings" in the body feel more alive now. I'm aware of the body more often. My focus is too be more into the present moment in coming sessions.
Quote:
But man postpones or remembers; he does not live in the present, but with reverted eyes laments the past,
or, heedless of the riches that surround him, stands on tiptoes to foresee the future. He cannot be happy
and strong until he too lives with nature in the present, above time.
-Ralph W. Emerson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:03 am 

I'm understanding the meaning to be alone, and not lonely. Not through thought, but through feeling. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 am 

Day 9: My first meditation today was decent. Not much more to say on it.

I'm about to do another meditation for day 9; two a days 8-) .
I'm going to test new waters of a different meditation; "lions meditation". In lions meditation you have your eyes half open and half closed. This way your not falling asleep, and mistaking your sleepiness for a "higher state".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 pm 

With meditation, the idea is not to make it an addiction. Understand what you are using it for.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:31 am 

Day 10 & 11: The new open eyed meditation is proving to be much more of a challenge. Last night with the open eye meditation I was extremely aware of the knot sensation in my stomach that 9 minutes in it was unbearable and I ended at 10 minutes. Same for today I shortened my periods to 10 minutes with open eye meditation. I'm unsure what the knot in my stomach is, but I will uncover it soon. :geek:

Open Eye Meditation: Relaxed gaze. Look straight ahead or whatever is comfortable for you, then focus your vision on two objects (left and right) while still looking straight. It can get a bit trippy a few minutes in. :shock:

@Rolan
IMO no addiction is good. :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:27 am 

I lost my ways and didn't stick with. :x
Picked it up again, and will post more on it when the time arrives.

I'm pushing against the current, rather than going with the flow; me trying to control too much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:05 am 

Rolan wrote:
With meditation, the idea is not to make it an addiction. Understand what you are using it for.
@Thedude, regular meditation is good but not something to be scheduled, if you force it, it doesn't work.

I only ever do it when I feel I need to do some introspection.

"Simply put, you being in her life is a BLESSING. Her wronging you in any way is her own self-inflicted CURSE, and if she does wrong you, then let the punishment fit the crime. Her life will absolutely SUCK without you."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 am 

Alchemist wrote:
Rolan wrote:
@Thedude, regular meditation is good but not something to be scheduled, if you force it, it doesn't work.

Yeah, this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 am 

Alchemist wrote:
Rolan wrote:

Completely AGREE! I realized, like having a 3rd person view of yourself, how heavily I've been sucked into women and dating. I completely lost my ways and stopped doing what I actually liked to do. Instead I thought what would make me more: attractive, cool, wanted.

I forced myself to do these exercises to better myself, aka deeper than that is get more pussy to feel good about myself. I completely KILLED the life of it with how my attitude was toward it; forceful action. I see now why I failed so many times with my goals and projects. :geek: