Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: The Pain of Regret
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 pm 

I have made great strides toward my goal of becoming the best person I can be. The difference between who I was before January and who I am now is so stark that my past self seems like a stranger.

I have successfully swallowed The Red Pill. Nevertheless, my past self still stalks me like a shady man in a trench coat. He leans against fences in alleys and sits in the dark corners of pubs. He observes me in the supermarket as I buy my provisions and he watches me from askance as he drives very deliberately by me in his black Cadillac. There are times when he fails to show himself for a long stretch of time and I believe him to be truly gone. Feeling free from his silent tyranny, I quietly rejoice in his absence from my life.

Then, at the height of my complacency, I notice him watching and smirking at me yet again in the corner of my eye. He smirks because he knows all of my weaknesses, all my regrets, all my insecurities, and all of my failures.

He grins because he knows about my best friend, Mr. Kitty, my god mother, my father, my academic shortcomings, my weight, my inability to provide for myself, my misanthropy, high school, Nathan, Robert, Chloe, Amanda, Leonard, Austin, Zach, Alloura, Katie, Casey, Elizabeth, Kodai, Yoshie, Asuka, Little Monster, my weakness as a manager, my failure as an announcer, my failure as a radio host, and especially that vile Kelsey.

He knows that even though he is no longer in the limelight, he can burden me with pain and guilt, and he will never completely die so long as he can stalk me in the shadows. It seems that no matter what, he is here for good unless I can find a way to slay him.

I am proud of what I have learned and I am excited for my future and the strength that I shall inevitably draw from it, but I cannot seem avoid being pained by my past mistakes. In fact, it could be said that I am living a life of regret. I often tell myself if only I could go back in time or if I only knew then what I know now.

Some of my regrets are very small, but still stick to me nevertheless. Others are so great that I’m not sure I can ever forgive myself for them. I could examine them on the surface, but that would do no good, like removing the dandelion but not digging out the weed. Indeed, this pain comes from somewhere deep within. I plan to make a post in the very near future after I have analyzed myself via the principles of projection a bit more. I’m making good progress, but more thought is required.

For now, I’ll settle for asking you guys these questions: how have you handled the pain of regret? How have you come to terms with your past? How have you healed from the suffering caused by regrets both great and small?

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . ."

-Thoreau's Walden

Post subject: Re: The Pain of Regret
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:34 pm 

The Pokemon Trainer wrote:
I am proud of what I have learned and I am excited for my future and the strength that I shall inevitably draw from it, but I cannot seem avoid being pained by my past mistakes. In fact, it could be said that I am living a life of regret. I often tell myself if only I could go back in time or if I only knew then what I know now. Some of my regrets are very small, but still stick to me nevertheless. Others are so great that I’m not sure I can ever forgive myself for them. I could examine them on the surface, but that would do no good, like removing the dandelion but not digging out the weed. Indeed, this pain comes from somewhere deep within. I plan to make a post in the very near future after I have analyzed myself via the principles of projection a bit more. I’m making good progress, but more thought is required.

For now, I’ll settle for asking you guys these questions: how have you handled the pain of regret? How have you come to terms with your past? How have you healed from the suffering caused by regrets both great and small?
Pretty much sums up my current situation, so I cannot answer much.
But doing something I want (preferably need) to do, being caught in those moments make me forget about this stuff, regrets etc.. Because the moment requires my full attention.. Nothing new really, I just finally experienced it in real life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:23 pm 

You realize that you can't change the past...so then you STOP DWELLING ON IT. :geek:

You have so much time ahead of you...make it count. 8-)

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 pm 

@The Pokemon Trainer (and others who are reading this esp. new guys)

when you post, please separate into more paragraphs.

It's really not pleasant to read like this and I personally skip posts that are written like this
because my eyes are getting annoyed :geek:

I will edit your post this time (but next time please...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:17 pm 

trainer, you still have attachments to the past, still have demons to embrace.
the past is history, it is gone. you can't change what happened. all those things are what shaped you to be where you are today. you have the knowlege to do what is best for you and to avoid what is destructive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

my past self still stalks me like a shady man in a trench coat.
Take him out for a drink and realise that he is not so shady and that is not a trench coat he is wearing.

By viewing those experiences as ones with something to teach you, something you can learn from. They all contribute to your knowledge as a man, they all move you forward on the path of life.

One of my favourite quote says it so succinctly: I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

besides what everyone else said already- another thing that helped me was to realize how lucky I am to know and embrace the truth (better late than never...).

Just thinking if I didn't know all this I would have ended up like 96-98% of men (in the western society) who end up with a woman on her terms and live an 'Amorati life' (sympish life)

also, when you look even in a galaxy far away you will see that it ain't easy over there as well-

[ img ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:59 am 

I let it go as much as I was ready to. The pain would leave, and I would get used to that level of being. Then new things would come up or old issues would resurface and I would deal with them or push them away.

It's a continual process.

Last night I had a dream actually. There was a scar from a cut that ran from the middle of my chest to the side of my hip. It was quite deep at one point but in the dream it was healed over all that was there was the mark and I was asking how it got there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:58 am 

peregrinus wrote:
my past self still stalks me like a shady man in a trench coat.
Take him out for a drink and realise that he is not so shady and that is not a trench coat he is wearing.

By viewing those experiences as ones with something to teach you, something you can learn from. They all contribute to your knowledge as a man, they all move you forward on the path of life.

One of my favourite quote says it so succinctly: I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.
Love that quote, and your answer The Pokemon Trainer, would be realized upon contemplating the above.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 am 

I've pondered your replies for many days now, and the more I consider your words, the more convinced I become that the strong person I am now is more or less a result of my past mistakes and blunders.

Pain is a catalyst for growth. The suffering I endured directed me to the path of strength and pushed me through it. My social blunders, my stupid mistakes, my previous status as an outsider, and other sources of pain have motivated me to become a stronger and wiser person. I wouldn't be who I am today without all that.

I actually feel much better now. Strange how something as simple as a re-frame and letting go can help heal years of mental torment.

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . ."

-Thoreau's Walden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 am 

Mignon Filet for your sir :)
[ img ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:38 pm 

Morpheus wrote:
Mignon Filet for your sir :)
[ img ]
Oh wow that's deeply hilarious!...he has a moment of clarity and you offer him steak? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:37 pm 

:lol: oops. Heard it on a Jay Z song.

Didn't know it was steak ahah, didn't give it any thought. I was just picking out tasty food.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:59 pm 

Morpheus wrote:

Didn't know it was steak ahah, didn't give it any thought. I was just picking out tasty food.
Oh I know it wasn't conscious...and I dont even know if it was meaningful subconsciously...I just find it humorous being how much and the way we reference steak around here. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:19 pm 

The Kidd!! wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

Oh I know it wasn't conscious...and I dont even know if it was meaningful subconsciously...I just find it humorous being how much and the way we reference steak around here. :lol:
Haha wasn't even meaningful subconsciously lol. I didn't even know filet mignon was steak :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 pm 

Morpheus wrote:
The Kidd!! wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

Haha wasn't even meaningful subconsciously lol. I didn't even know filet mignon was steak :oops:
wat :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 pm 

Yeah legit.

The only place I ever heard of it was on that song. Looking at the picture it should have been obvious it's even got the red glass of wine cypher drank.