Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: The Myth of Monogamy
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 pm 

Hey Kidd, Brent mentioned something called The Myth of Monogamy and I'd like to get your thoughts on this. What do you think about monogamy?

Post subject: Re: The Myth of Monogamy
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:34 pm 

I think it's very possible and highly enjoyable if both parties go into it with the right mindset and the right reasons. Unfortunately, there are so many fragile variables involved that it is really hard for members of our global society to successfully pull off. It's a beautiful thing when it works but catastrophic when it doesn't.

Pimposophy Revisited is now finally available on Amazon in all territories!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm 

Okay, thank you! Do you have a monogamous relationship with your keeper?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 pm 

Not currently, no. We have an understanding tho...I guess you could call it an open relationship. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 pm 

Alright, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Un Natural

The conclusion of centuries of social programming

A Complete Lie

I could go on....

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm 

David D I remember explained that monogamy was created by leaders long ago who wanted access to all of the women in the land and forced every other man to have only one woman, either that or population control by the church.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:01 pm 

Aztecsfinest wrote:
David D I remember explained that monogamy was created by leaders long ago who wanted access to all of the women in the land and forced every other man to have only one woman, either that or population control by the church.
That makes sense to me...it's just one of those things that is up to the individual. If both individuals equally want it to work bad enough, it can work. But like I said, there are so many fragile variables in the mix that even the best intentions usually aren't enough in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am 

Aztecsfinest wrote:
The church controlled a lot as did the early harem leaders, which came from the first people that learned agriculture bc they had more resources. In the animal world though a lot of it is based on factors like how many males to females interestingly. In a animal society with a lot of males. Females runs the dynamic more and are picky, mostly monogamy. In a society with a lot of female, males run the mating dynamic. Quite a bit of that translates over to human interaction as well.

People will take the course of action directly or indirectly benefiscal to their own genes.

The Red Queen by Matthew Ridley explains it...that's where David D got his info

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

I suggest you all do some REAL history reading on the subject.

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 am 

What books?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:16 am 

What Monogamous Couples Can Learn From Polyamorous Relationships, According to Experts
Quote:
Managing jealousy

You might think that having multiple romantic partners would elicit more jealousy than being in a monogamous relationship. But according to a a 2017 study published in Perspectives on Psychological Science, that’s not necessarily the case.

The study, which surveyed 1,507 people in monogamous relationships and 617 people in consensual non-monogamous relationships, found that people in consensual non-monogamous relationships, including those who engaged in polyamory and swinging, scored lower on jealousy and higher on trust than those in monogamous relationships.

“People in monogamous relationships were really off the charts high on jealousy. They were more likely to check their partners’ phones, go through their emails, their handbags,” Moors says. “But people in consensual non-monogamous relationships were really low on this.”

Davila, who also works as a couples therapist, says that she’s observed monogamous couples avoid addressing jealousy altogether, whereas consensual non-monogamous couples might be more vocal with their feelings. “In consensual non-monogamous relationships, jealousy is expected,” Davila says. “But they see what feelings arise and actively work to navigate them in a proactive way.”

Maintaining a sense of independence

Another area where polyamorous couples tend to excel, according to Kincaid, is allowing their partners to maintain a sense of independence outside of their relationship. Conley and Moors found in their 2017 study that monogamous couples are more likely to sacrifice their own needs for the sake of their relationship, while polyamorous couples put their own personal fulfillment first.

“The biggest thing that I appreciate about poly people is that they focus on knowing what their needs are and get their needs met in creative ways — relying more on friends or multiple partners instead of putting it all on one person,” Kincaid says. “Once [monogamists] get into a relationship, they tend to value their romantic partner above everyone else.”

She suggests that doing the former allows your relationships to be deeper and can enable you to get a lot more support from your loved ones.

Karney says that he could also see how having your needs met by others might strengthen consensual non-monogamous relationships.

“If we’re a married monogamous couple, we have to figure out what to do about our problems. We’re either going to avoid them, resolve them or break up,” Karney says. “But if I’m in a non-monogamous relationship and I have the same problem, I might not have to resolve it if I’m not getting all my needs met from you.”
http://time.com/5330833/polyamory-monog ... tionships/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:11 am 

Quote:
Why are people and dolphins the only mammals that have sex for pleasure?

Answer 1:

Your question gets at the heart of what many cognitive scientists in the fields of neuroscience, philosophy, and computer science are trying to address. This great mystery in science is consciousness. In particular, your question is related to the mind-body problem. The issue here is what, if any, neural states in our physical brain lead us to have subjective experiences in our mind, which are called qualia by many people in the field of cognitive science.

Besides humans and dolphins, other mammals such as certain monkeys have sex too. Sex usually leads to euphoric pleasures that are related to the release of certain neurotransmitters in our brains. These neurotransmitters help us relax and make us feel good.

The mammals you mention all have neocortex, which is associated with higher levels of consciousness. For example, ants do not have neocortex. Higher levels of consciousness probably lead us to do certain things for the simple pleasures, such as art, food, and sex.

Answer 2:

Most animals have sex purely for the purpose of reproduction. The claim that dolphins have sex for pleasure is true for a very specific definition of "sex for pleasure," which is copulation between the male and female of a species not for the purpose of reproduction. Most animals cannot afford to waste the energy that is put into the sexual act unless it leads to the production of offspring. For most animals, it seems that there is no biological advantage in engaging in sex when there is no possibility that their genes will be passed through the production of offspring. Therefore, females of most animal species give off detectable signals when they are fertile: a change in appearance, a distinctive smell, specific sounds or behaviors to signal to their partner that they are fertile. If fact, most females will push their mate away or ignore him when they are not fertile.

Humans, bonobos (also known as Pygmy chimpanzees) and dolphins are a bit different in this aspect. They are all intelligent social animals, whose cooperative behavior proves to be more successful than that of the individual alone. It is probable that in these animals, the use of sex evolved beyond reproduction to serve additional social functions. It can keep the male around the female and offspring, thus helping tend for the offspring. Sex reinforces intimate social bonds that can form larger social structures, something that may help in overall survival, group hunting, defending against intruders and so on.

But there is a difference between humans and animal in this aspect though. Animals other than humans have no awareness that their sexual activities are connected with reproduction: They engage in sex because they're biologically driven to do so, and if the fulfillment of their urges produces a physical sensation we might "pleasure," it isn't the least bit affected by the possibility (or impossibility) of producing offspring.
http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1132

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 am 

That's pretty flawed, some apes do have sex all the time too.
Btw zogler, all this theory all the time, do you even have progress in real life ?