Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

I came across this quote as part of an article.. I feel it sums up something dicsussed here quite often from another perspective:
Quote:
Rade Serbedzija — the great Hollywood character actor and a star in his native Croatia — appears in the movie’s most explicitly comical scene, in which Dr. Harford convinces Serbedzija’s disheveled character, Mr. Milich, to open up his costume shop in the middle of the night. For a character often criticized as a cipher, this is Harford at his most actionable: He needs to get to that sex party.

It’s a small hurricane of a performance from Serbedzija. He swerves from peevishly lamenting his hair loss to suddenly imprisoning the Japanese men with whom his pubescent daughter, played by Leelee Sobieski, has been cavorting in the middle of the night — all while calmly executing his business transaction with Dr. Harford. Appropriately, it has a bitter coda: Mr. Milich ultimately willingly conspires in the pimping of his daughter.

“It was kind of torture, what [Kubrick] did to me,” Serbedzija recently recalled to Grantland over the phone from Brijuni, a remote island in the Adriatic Sea. “He wasn’t satisfied with anything I brought. He said, ‘It’s very bad.’” Serbedzija laughs heartily as he explains how Kubrick, essentially, screwed with him. Over and over, Kubrick cut Serbedzija off, bluntly explaining how execrable he was just a few sentences into each take.

“I said, ‘Well, tell me what I have to do.’ He said, ‘I don’t know, you are [the] actor.’ ‘OK, what do we [do] now?’ He said, ‘Let’s try it again.’ And then I started again. And again he said, ‘It’s awful.’ And then I thought, My god, which game is this guy playing with me?”

Eventually Kubrick, sensing the actor was on to his tactics, ordered a break in shooting and called Serbedzija and Cruise into his office.

“He was very angry with me. And he put on my tape from the audition. And he was laughing. You know? Watching this tape, he was laughing. Tom was watching [for the] first time and he was laughing too. And Stanley said, ‘This guy is excellent! He’s fantastic.’ And he turned to me and he said, ‘Can you try [the] same as this guy?’ And I said, ‘My god. What’s going on?’”

Mulling it over for the night, Serbedzija had his breakthrough. “I was thinking, He must know I’m [a] pretty good actor. Maybe he wanted to say to me, ‘I don’t want to see your acting.’ He wanted me to be really mad. To be really crazy. And I started to play games with [the] whole world.

“Some madness I tried to bring, and everybody was afraid of me on set. Everybody except him. He was watching me, laughing from his eyes. So there is something that is more than acting. Some real madness, you know?”

Serbedzija stops. “That’s it. He [was] really a magician.”

from: https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospec ... es-career/

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.moviemaker.com/alan-cumming ... y-kubrick/
Quote:
Alan Cumming says working with Stanley Kubrick in Eyes Wide Shut helped him understand an old adage about acting: “You can go as big as you like, as long as you mean it.”

In the new MovieMaker Interviews podcast, Cumming also cites another another rule of acting: There are no small parts, just small actors. He said his appearance as a hotel clerk in Eyes Wide Shut, released in 1999, was a brief but important role to his career.

During the scene, Cumming’s clerk tells Tom Cruise character that another character came into the hotel with two “big” men—while spacing his hands out suggestively. The director loved it.

“The detail and the zeal that he had for the tiniest of gestures and the intonation made me so interested in acting again,” Cumming said. “A lot of the time, my least favorite thing is to hear a director shouting, ‘That was perfect, let’s go again.’ You think, ‘Well, why are we going again if it’s perfect? Tell me what you want.’ Often they just go again and they don’t tell you why. And Stanley would, in such minute detail, tell me what he wanted. And of course that’s nirvana for an actor.”

Cumming continued: “It’s so over the top, that performance. And I kept saying to him, ‘Oh Stanley, that’s too much. He’s like, ‘No, go on, do it!’ He was like goading me on. But there’s a thing that I do, I say, “the men that came back, they came in this morning, big guys.” And I do a gesture… with my hands, like I’m doing a penis size.”

“I thought surely he was going to tell me not to do that. It’s so ridiculous,” Cumming added. “One take I didn’t do it, and he said, ‘Why are you not doing the thing with your hands?'”

In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject.He keeps chiseling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Perfection is not when there is no more to add,but no more to take away.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:51 pm 

YouTube - Martin Scorsese on Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am 
Site Admin

Remembering Stanley Kubrick: Tom Cruise (Paul Joyce, 1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeqGgwqHH3Q

Remembering Stanley Kubrick: Nicole Kidman (Paul Joyce 1999)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m0Utsl3STs