Natural Freedom

Forum for the natural awakening and self-realization of men
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Some Socrates
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 am 

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Apology_%28Plato%29
Quote:
You, my friend,—a citizen of the great and mighty and wise city of Athens,—are you not ashamed of heaping up the greatest amount of money and honour and reputation, and caring so little about wisdom and truth and the greatest improvement of the soul, which you never regard or heed at all? And if the person with whom I am arguing, says: Yes, but I do care; then I do not leave him or let him go at once; but I proceed to interrogate and examine and cross-examine him, and if I think that he has no virtue in him, but only says that he has, I reproach him with undervaluing the greater, and overvaluing the less. And I shall repeat the same words to every one whom I meet, young and old, citizen and alien, but especially to the citizens, inasmuch as they are my brethren. For know that this is the command of God; and I believe that no greater good has ever happened in the state than my service to the God. For I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons or your properties, but first and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, I am a mischievous person. But if any one says that this is not my teaching, he is speaking an untruth. Wherefore, O men of Athens, I say to you, do as Anytus bids or not as Anytus bids, and either acquit me or not; but whichever you do, understand that I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times.

Post subject: Re: Some Socrates
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm 

Other post found :
http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... 3632#p3632
Socrates wrote:
The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing
Quote:
The impreciseness of the English translation stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

GoldenBoy wrote:
Other post found :
http://www.naturalfreedom.info/viewtopi ... 3632#p3632
Socrates wrote:
The only real wisdom is knowing you know nothing
Quote:
The impreciseness of the English translation stems from the fact that the author is not saying that he does not know anything but means instead that one cannot know anything with absolute certainty but can feel confident about certain things.
I detect some direct path wisdom.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

GoldenBoy wrote:
Quote:
[/quote]

Misattributed and not misinterpreted in English. The translation is fine. I agree with the rest and would also add that everything flows, nothing stands still (Heraclitus). Even the things we know are subject to change in any moment. Therefore, we should take nothing for granted and be prepared. In this sense, we know nothing.